This distinctive dwelling at 2010 JACKSON STREET was built in 1961. Its single story was unusual, set between neighboring mansions on an important block of Pacific Heights. The façade is quite austere in the modern style. A witty play of classicism makes it appearance with two Greco-Roman statues perched atop the front corners with full width balustrades in between. The eye moves to the horizontal entablature with delicate frieze in a scroll pattern. Tall Ionic columns and decorative ironwork grace the elegant arched entry. Handsome sculpted conical and spherical boxwood hedges are set in river stone along the walkway.
A second level full floor view Master Suite was skillfully added in 1987 with Architect George Livermore. With a slight setback at the front, the only perceptible change in the façade was the addition of a pergola with four pairs of supporting Ionic columns visible above the original roofline.
The elegant marble ENTRY HALL featuring a pair of tall ionic columns, tall niches for objet d’arts and a decorative skylight introduces the impressive yet intimate scale of the public rooms. The sparkling bay can be glimpsed at the far end of the home framed by a picture window.
The natural light infused, open air Roman PERISTYLE or COURTYARD is the focus of the home. Colonnades and balustrades frame eight pairs of tall French doors which all open from the public rooms. Large planter urns with perennials, fruit trees and colorful blooms provide a lush, urban oasis—a rare and marvelous integration of indoor-outdoor living and elegant flow.
The gracious LIVING ROOM and FORMAL DINING ROOM feature soaring ceilings and marble fireplaces. The dining room elegantly seats a large dinner party. The FAMILY/MEDIA ROOM is ideal for daily informal dining and entertainment.
The spacious, sunny KITCHEN looks out to the bay, Alcatraz and Angel Islands. Features include two large skylights, center island, ample counter tops and built-in cabinets. The space awaits the new owner’s custom installation. This space can be opened to the family room for a great room with views for today’s lifestyle.
The hall off the dining room accesses the gracious spiral staircase, elevator and main floor. The GUEST BEDROOM (the original master) and FULL BATH are discretely tucked away in the northwest corner of the house.
The main floor is conveniently accessed from the two-car side-by-side GARAGE at the front of the house through the entry hall and courtyard.
The spiral staircase & elevator open to the FULL FLOOR VIEW MASTER SUITE with tall ceilings and vistas to the sparkling bay, Alcatraz and Angel Islands and Russian Hill to the east. Gracious balustrades frame the water and courtyard views from every perspective.
The MASTER BEDROOM enjoys the views through the glass enclosed STUDY which opens to the expansive NORTH TERRACE with ever changing colors of the sky and water from dawn to sunset. The very spacious bedroom features a fireplace and French doors which overlook the delightful courtyard below.
Two FULL BATHS with stone surrounds are located at the opposite ends of the suite—one with a view soaking tub, the other with a dressing room which opens to the SOUTH TERRACE with pergola—a perfect spot for enjoying the views.
A Pullman style WARDROBE HALL with custom built-in storage connects the two bathrooms.
The elevator and spiral staircase access the SITTING ROOM and two BEDROOMS with adjoining FULL BATHS. This floor plan is versatile and could also be used for live-in quarters and/or extra bedrooms.
A LAUNDRY ROOM, MECHANICAL ROOM, service half bath, multiple storage rooms complete this level. Ample room for new owners expansion.
Addenda: HISTORY OF THE HOUSE
“Classicism in a New Setting, Privacy Around a Courtyard,” Women’s World, Sunday Chronicle, July 30, 1961, by Grace Prien, who writes:
“The newest conversation piece in Pacific Heights is the beautiful classical dwelling of bachelor George W. Kleiser Jr. on Jackson Street, with its two statues at the front corners silhouetted against the sky….The serene but blank façade offers few clues to the interior….The house is a realized ideal for its owner, a retired advertising executive. He sketched out his ideas a year ago for architect TED MOULTON, who carried them into reality last May….If a man’s home is his castle, Mr. Kleiser has achieved it in this classic town house.”
NOTABLE KLEISER’S Foster and Kleiser –The History of Outdoor Advertising, blog by G.W. Cliser at email@example.com
GEORGE W. KLEISER (1901-1976) was the son of the senior Kleiser (1874-1952) founding partner with Walter Foster (1871-1944) of the advertising firm, Foster and Kleiser, the pioneer in billboard advertising with the advent of the mass production of the automobile in 1900 and construction of modern roadways. Through nearly nine decades of evolving ownerships, mergers and technological advances, F&K has evolved into “Clear Channel”, today’s global multimedia advertising giant.
TED RICHARD MOULTON, Architect (1917- 1986) Berkeley 1949, AIA 1952-1964, from the California Heritage Council Directory.
Mr. Moulton was among 13 founding members–comprising architects, conservationists and citizen historians–of the California Heritage Council (CHC) in 1959. “…a non-profit, educational organization. Its purpose is to call public and professional attention to sites in need of preservation and to recognize, by bestowing annual awards, important historical sites and the people instrumental in their preservation….”
“Proctor Jones’ Italian Villa”, by Ann Seymour, At Home Magazine, published circa 1988 (copy from family archives).
The original house had a mere five rooms on one level, including only one bedroom, a bath and guest bath. The Joneses called on architect GEORGE LIVERMORE to expand the home with a full second story master suite, replicating the high-ceilinged spacious first floor without intruding on the classical exterior design. The two Graeco-Roman sculptures, balustrades and architectural details were carefully restored and placed atop the new second level. Only the pergola is visible from the street while the new master suite and two roof decks are artfully hidden from view.
“San Francisco’s Renaissance Couple—a Love Affair with French and Russian History”, by Mary Margaret Lewis, photography by Andrew McKinney, Nob Hill Gazette--Interiors, circa 1995 (copy from family archives) and the obituary of Martha Martin Jones, the San Francisco Chronicle Guest Book November 23, 2014.
PROCTOR PATTERSON JONES (1916-1999) and
MARTHA MARTIN JONES (1921-2014)
Proctor Jones and Martha Martin Jones both hailed from Ohio. He studied law at Case Western Reserve, Stanford and Harvard Universities. He served four years in World War II as a US Army captain and Air Force intelligence officer in North Africa and Italy.
Martha Martin attended Bethesda Hospital Nursing School and had an equally exciting career in Oxford, England with the US Army Nurses Corp. After the war, each returned to Cleveland where they met in 1947, married and enjoyed a wonderful life together for 52 years in San Francisco and Stinson Beach where they raised their four children.
In his so-called retirement years, Proctor Jones authored Napoleon: An Intimate Account of the Years of Supremacy and his talent as both photographer/writer produced the esoteric Idylls of France, 1982 and Classic Russian Idylls, 1985. With his WW II experience in the Mediterranean and North Africa, he served as long time Honorary Consul General to the Republic of Tunisia beginning in the 1970s.
Proctor and Martha Jones were lifelong supporters of the City’s performing arts and the fine arts, and active board members in school and community organizations and traveled extensively.
GEORGE LIVERMORE, (1915-2005), SF Gate, March 10, 2005
George Livermore, second generation of a long line of pioneering prominent Livermore’s on both coasts, obtained his BA Degree from Stanford University in1936 and architectural degree from Yale University in 1940. He was an indefatigable civic leader and San Francisco/bay area architect in the public, commercial and residential sectors, particularly the restoration of San Francisco Victorians; he also worked on the pool house design for Alma Spreckels’ mansion on Washington Street and the second floor addition of the Proctor and Martha Jones residence at 2010 Jackson.